Saturday, April 18, 2009

21 days

They say it takes 21 days to form a habit. It is honestly hard to do. I have to take it one day at a time. Like today when I got home from work. I opened the fridge and there sat a taco from taco bell that my family got while I was at work. Without even thinking, I took it out to eat and said, Aww, thanks for getting me a taco!" almost instantly after I took it out to eat it my mind was like "WAIT! STOP! What ARE you doing?! I had suddenly remembered that I was not allowed to eat that! It's hard and it's automatic sometimes.
One day at a time. One meal at a time.

"From the Aristotle blog:

"Dr Maxwell Maltz wrote the bestseller Psycho-Cybernetics.
Originally a Plastic Surgeon, Maltz noticed that it took
21 days for amputees to cease feeling phantom sensations
in the amputated limb. From further observations he found
it took 21 days to create a new habit. Since then the '21
Day Habit Theory' has become an accepted part of self-help
programs.

Brain circuits take engrams (memory traces), and produce
neuroconnections and neuropathways only if they are
bombarded for 21 days in a row. This means that our brain
does not accept new data for a change of habit unless
it is repeated each day for 21 days (without missing a day)."

No comments:

Post a Comment